BLOG

China's farmers innovate to adapt to climate change

Krystyna Swiderska
Senior researcher in IIED's Natural Resources Group ________________________________________

The film "Planting for Change" tells the story of how farmers in Guangxi and Yunnan provinces have responded to climatic adversity by using their own innovations and biocultural heritage – and by improving this heritage by working with scientists on participatory plant breeding projects.
For the past three years, this region, which is rich in biocultural heritage and landscape beauty, has been hit by drought.

Farmers have reverted to using traditional maize varieties which are more drought resistant than their modern equivalents. They have also adopted ecological farming practices, such as rearing ducks in the rice fields to control crop pests....

Read more »

Types of DEVIANT behavior among young people

Milica Kocic Faculty of Philosophy
(Department of sociology, University of Niš, Serbia) 

________________________________________

In today's modern world, young people are in very delicate situation. In countries where basic human needs are not fulfilled, where existential needs are considered as luxury, young man is perceptived as “succesfful” as long as he manages to stay in school and out of the “bad company”.

There are many criteria for defining some behaviour as “good” or “ bad”. The most common criteria is statistical point of view, where we evaluate something as deviation as soon that is much different from the average. However, less simple explanation of deviant behaviour is intersted in the patholoical side of human behaviour and want's to reveal the presence of certain diseases or something artificial. In order to prevent the occurrence of deviant behaviour of young people, the society is active in influencing trough the system of education Read more »

2012 EU carbon tax: Government summons airlines

Saurav Raj Pant
________________________________________

To get fee to cop with the climate change, European Union imposed carbon taxes on airlines force to take effect from Jan 1st, 2012. Every airlines flying to EU countries are now indebted to get permits to cover their carbon emissions for the whole length of fights as well as to monitor the emissions report. 85% percent of those permit for free, but the remaining 15% should be paid by them. Additionally, all airlines that fly in and through European airspace must now pay a carbon tax amounting to 100 Euro per ton of carbon. If violated, EU based or foreign airlines would be finned and banned from flying in to EU controlled airspace. The EU has assured that with this steps green house gas emissions for the airlines will reduce overall by 5%. Read more »

 

Copyright © 2014 - JVE NEPAL All Rights Reserved-